Ben Herring is a New Zealand rugby union coach and former player, currently the assistant coach of the Newest Japanese top league team the Hino Red Dolphins. He was the Otago rugby head coach from 2018 to 2019 winning the Ranfurly Shield with the side in 2018.
Herring's had a decorated coaching career which has given him the opportunity to be involved with two Super Rugby teams, the Highlanders & Sunwolves. Furthermore, he has helped coach the Japanese national side alongside Jamie Joseph and Tony Brown from 2015 to 2018. Herring also played professionally in both New Zealand and England making notable appearances for the Highlanders & Hurricanes. Herring made a strong impression abroad when he represented the Leicester Tigers from 2007 to 2009, he was awarded the newcomer of the year in 2008 and was renowned as a turnover specialist.
In this episode of the podcast, we learn what it takes to create a successful team environment & how the soft skills of rugby build a positive culture. We dive into:
- The perception of public pressure and how coaches can find small wins with private success within the team environment.
- Understanding the importance of culture and how to win the changing room and creating an environment that is bigger than yourself.
- The importance of managing egos & personalities within the team environment and how to create strong values and leaders to have a positive impact on the group.
- How to analyse effort as a coach and seeing the bigger picture with players that struggle to commit themselves to difficult tasks.
- Ben’s idea around being able to still be successful defensively whilst being the smallest on the field by outwitting your opponents.
There is so much detail and insights in this episode. If you're a player, coach or admirer of rugby this podcast gives you everything from tactics in the jackal & tackle and also awareness around being more empathic as a coach. Understanding that culture and leadership are the basis for building a successful rugby team.
Don’t forget to check out Revolution Rugby with more content that will help any coach and player at all levels.
This episode is bought to you by Detail. The second episode from our new Detail series teaches you everything you need to develop a world-class kicking game. I've worked with players like Hayden Parker, Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo'unga, Matt Toomua and hundreds of others. This episode is the distillation of the thousands of hours of knowledge I've put into the art of kicking.
Sign up here.
FULL SHOW NOTES TO COME: