Rugby Bricks Podcast Episode 55 Show Notes: Jase Ryan | The Secret Art Of The Scrum & Creating A Winning Legacy & Culture Within The Most Successful Super Rugby Franchise.
Jase Ryan is a New Zealand rugby union coach and former player, currently the forward’s coach of the Crusaders and assistant coach to Fiji. Ryan’s first significant coaching role was for the Canterbury provincial team originally as a scrum coach and then became assistant in 2015-16 and went on to win back to back titles those years. Ryan is now coming into his sixth consecutive year at the Crusaders who for the past 5 years have won 5 successive titles.
Ryan is a highly respected coach at the Super Rugby and international level. Along with his Super Rugby accolades he was also the scrum coach for the Black Ferns back in 2014 and the NZ under 20’s for 3 seasons too.
Over Ryan’s career, he has been a part of some of the most successful teams in history, we learn what it takes to create the results he has. We dive into:
- The importance of Ryan starting the front row club to ensure there was a program to focus on the safe development of props and hookers at a young age.
- How the Crusaders franchise has been so dominant and successful over the past decade and what goes into a winning culture.
- The importance of coaches understanding that players don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.
- Ryan’s experience on the Emirates Team New Zealand boat with Peter Burling and how they handled communication under pressure.
- How Ryan overcame contracting COVID-19 being in a foreign country and how it gave him and extra gratitude and perspective on life.
From Junior XV rugby to the Crusaders, this episode has it all. If you are a player, coach or supporter, this podcast is for you. It gives insights and secrets into the most successful Super Rugby team in history and how they have won 5 consecutive titles in the past 5 years. We take a look at how a team can remain this consistent and dominant over so many years and what it takes to stay at the top.
Please enjoy this in-depth and enlightening episode with none other than Jase Ryan.