Wayne Smith is a New Zealand rugby union coach and former player, currently the Director of Rugby for the Japanese Top League club, the Kobelco Steelers. Smith’s first significant coaching role was for the Crusaders in the 1997 season and went on to win back to back titles in 1998 and 1999, before being appointed the head coach of the All Blacks in 2000.
Smith is regarded as one of the greatest rugby coaches in history. Nicknamed “The Professor”, Smith is considered to be the All Blacks tactical genius who helped engineer two Rugby World Cup victories in 2011 and 2015. He is one of two coaches to win back to back Rugby World Cups. Along with the Crusader’s championships, he also helped the Chiefs secure their first Super Rugby title in 2012 and then went back to back again in 2013.
Smith has had one of the most decorated careers of any coach and in this episode of the podcast, we learn what it takes to create the results he has. We dive into:
- How Smith handled the public pressure of being an All Blacks coach and dealing with adversity when things didn’t go his way.
- The importance of speaking your mind in a close coaching unity, even though the other coaches opinions may differ from your own.
- How Sonny Bill Williams changed the game with his offloading ability and how Smith added his skillset into the strike moves.
- The importance of having high-quality game sense and thinking on your feet instinctively when on the counter-attack and in high-stakes moments.
- How Smith approaches each team he’s involved in with a different mindset and culture, as each franchise will vary in its values, ethos and strategy.
From grassroots rugby to the All Blacks, this episode has it all. If you are a player, coach or supporter, this podcast is for you. It gives insights and secrets into the All Blacks camp and how they prepare. We take a look at being creative with new innovative tactics on the field and not shying away from strategies that haven’t been done or seen.
Please enjoy this in-depth and enlightening episode with none other than Wayne Smith.
MELBOURNE STORM PURPLE KICKING TEE
This episode is bought to you by the new limited edition Melbourne Storm kicking tee. Get in quick to secure yours.
Be amongst the best players in the NRL such as Ryan Papenhuyzen & Nicho Hynes to use this exclusive and custom tee. Take advantage of this offer now before they sell out.
FULL SHOW NOTES TO COME: